Almost everyone using Internet these days have atleast one Google Account.many people like me have multiple google accounts. your Google Account is the gateway to lots of services we use daily. to be able to use any google service you need a google account. the popular google services are Gmail – E-mail,Orkut – Social Networking,Blogger – Blogging,Youtube – Video Sharing,Adsense – Advertising etc. these are a few to name but there would many more service you would be using.
Imagine the horror of waking up one day and finding that you cannot access your account, now you cannot check your E-mail or new scraps. Neither you can post to on your dear blogger blog or check how many clicks your blog generated yesterday. Even you Youtube Subscriptions updates are long gone! In Short a Total disaster !!
So our Google Account is very valuable to all of us and we should do everything possible to protect it.
Therefore I am going to list a few preventive & post-attacks measures you should take.
Preventive Action: Some Common Tips to keep your account Secure
- Update Contact Information: If you have created your account, long time back. there are chances that contact information that you provided at time of signing have been changed. Visit Manage Account and update all the information. Goto “Change Security Question” Option and Update Security Question to something which is uncommon and you would always remember. Also add a secondary E-mail Address if possible.
- Follow Google advice: Read & Follow some Common tips given By Google. these are very basic tips and you may know it.Keeping your account secure.
- Dig Deep into the Past: Try to Remember when you first created this account. what all services you are using and since when. Account creation Date can be found via by making educated guesses, like I know my first google service was gmail. so date of welcome mail received from google, is date of google account creation. If you don’t use gmail, then search your providers mailbox for “Google Email Verification” message, provided that you didn’t delete that mail. now make a list of Services you use on your account and since when. Also note down google account creation date Keep all this information written on a paper and keep it safe. I do realize that finding account creation date is hard, so don’t worry Google also knows this fact. so you are only required to give Month and Year correct. dates can be approximate.
- Use Common Sense: Always Follow some common tips like keep away from links u get in messenger and other sites,avoid using your account on public computer as it might have keyloggers installed,always type the URL or use bookmarks, never click on Shortcuts you receive in e-mail, change your password at regular intervals etc.
What To Do When Your Google Account is Hacked or you can’t access it for some reason
- Follow the “I Cannot Access my Account” Link. now google will suggest you to reset your password as first line of defense
- If resetting password does not work, you need to Contact Support with all information who will manually help you recover your account. Fill the form given here and remember to provide all the information to best of your knowledge. Lastly there is no hurry to fill up the form, so fill it with cool mind. As you only get one chance to appeal
Some Great Man has said ‘Prevention is better than Cure!’, So even if you google is not compromised, please follow all the preventive steps i have listed. so incase if you need to reset your account, you would ready with all the relevant information needed!