Its been a while since Bsnl made foray into TV broadcasting industry, with its new IPTV service. IPTV does the same thing what DTH and cable service does(Telecast TV channels to your homes). the only difference is it delivered by copper made telephone cable.we need to remember that that Bsnl is a telecom company, so it can’t directly provide service
The iControl service is provided by a company named “Aksh Optifibre Limited” using bsnl’s network. BSNL has signed a MOU with Aksh under which it has entitled Aksh to use its extensive & vast network with a huge broadband subscriber base. all the resources like hardware,support,content for providing such a service have to be arranged by Aksh. bsnl will only manage billing; which means installation & complaints would be directly handled by Aksh and the charges for service would come in your telephone bill.the main problem with such a setup is that there no single entity responsible for service, so customer may get confused whom to complaint. Also Aksh is a company who primary business is manufacturing optic fibre cables,so it has little experience in this field but aksh is pretty serious of IP TV and the company is betting big in the emerging IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) segment in India.
What is required?
- Broadband is Backbone of IP Tv, so to run this service you need a bsnl Broadband connection.
- Type -I or Type – IV modem/router. even if you have a Type-I or Type-III, bsnl will replace it Free of cost. however if you have brought it from market, then the exchange is not possible.
- For proper viewing your home should be in around 3km distance from the telephone exchange.
- Internet speed My speed were increased and I am synced with DSLAM at 6mbps. so now i get true 2mbps speeds of around 250kBps. earlier i used to get around 200kBps. so now my download speed is increased by 25%
- Initial charges & monthly fees: Instantly we need to pay Rs.1000(Refundable) + Rs.200/- = 1200. And monthly rental of Rs.150 per month
- video on demand:imagine ability to rewind and forward while watching movies on your TV. probably you would feel this not a TV but your DVD player. as starting there are around 200 titles which are free to watch[ Free Movies List ] and other can be ordered by paying small amount of money
- Triple Play: Phone,Broadband and Television via a single wire. pretty neat
- Unreliable: as everything is via a single wire, if your phone goes down. your broadband and TV won’t function.
- Requirement of Broadband connection: Suppose one day you no longer need your broadband, so you decide to part with it. then you also have to bit farewell it your IPTV connection.
The service itself is very new and falls under emerging category. still its worth trying if you have a Broadband connection.